Monday, September 16, 2013

Meal Prep Monday - Feels Like Fall

Happy Monday! I'm so glad to be back home and meal prepping after a few weeks away. It also turned into fall while I was gone. What's up with that? I mean I love fall but it seems like time is moving so fast. Wasn't it just August?

Anyways, I was inspired by the changing season to make warm, comforting and fall flavored food for this week's meal prep.

Breakfast

When I was traveling, I got really into sweet potatoes for breakfast. Adding sweet potatoes, Trader Joe's awesome new pumpkin Greek yogurt, apples and cinnamon to the usual overnight oats makes for the perfect fall breakfast.




Recipe:
Makes 6 servings


Calories: 386 | Fat: 11 g | Cholest: 3 mg | Sodium: 168 mg | Carbs: 52 g | Fiber: 11 g | Sugars: 18 g | Protein: 23 g

1 1/2  cup oats
6 tbsp chia seeds
1 1/2 cup almond coconut milk
18 tbsp egg whites
3 cooked chopped sweet potatos
2 containers Trader Joe's pumpkin Greek yogurt
1/3 container soft tofu
2 chopped small gala apples
6 tbsp cinnamon
6 tbsp unsalted raw sunflower seeds

Divide oats, chia seeds, almond coconut milk, and egg whites evenly into 6 mason jars and stir. 
Layer the sweet potatoes over the oats.
Blend the Greek yogurt and tofu until smooth. Pour over the sweet potatoes.
Layer apples over the sweet potatoes and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Top with sunflower seeds.


Protein

When I think of fall, I think of comfort foods, and meatballs definitely qualify for me. I followed Skinnytaste's crock pot meatballs recipe, adding a little extra vegetables and using beef broth instead of tomato sauce as my liquid. We had them over spaghetti squash "noodles" for dinner and they turned out pretty well.


Sides

I baked up a bunch of warm comforting sides including zucchini and yellow squash, sweet potatoes, and my first ever spaghetti squash.


Workouts

Despite my best better than usual efforts, I feel pretty out of shape and a little squishy after being on the road for so long. To get back on track, I picked up Fitness Blender's 4 Week Fat Loss Program for Busy People. A part of the program, I completed the included personal fitness test. I love that this gives me a way to measure my progress besides the number on the scale. Here were my results:

1 Mile Run: 7:57 min
Push ups: 6 full, 20 half
Body weight squats: 82
Static plank: 1:25
Sit and reach: 1.4

I also downloaded and started using the Zombies, Run! 5k training app and started it during my trip so I'll be working some runs in too. Here's what I have planned this week:

Monday: Workout Plan #2
Tuesday: Workout Plan #3, Zombies Week 1-3
Wednesday: Workout Plan #4
Thursday: Workout Plan #5, Zombies Week 2-1
Friday: Workout Plan #6
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Workout Plan #7

No comments:

Post a Comment