Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Healthy/Delicious Thanksgiving Recipes

Happy Thanksgiving Eve! (that's totally a thing, right?) I love Thanksgiving and (unsurprising) go really hard for the holiday. With almost everyone from both sides of my family in the area, I grew up going to two different houses and eating two Thanksgiving meals year. And, now that the bf's family is in the area too, we've gone to THREE houses for the past few years. That is a whole lot of eating, even for me.

(Image Source)
Since I'm still not totally a full adult, at least in my family's opinion, I've never hosted dinner or been responsible for anything as important as the turkey. But, since I am at least a little adult, I do bring a side. And to maintain the whole healthy living lifestyle/blogger cred thing, I try to keep it fairly healthy. But because it's me and I really enjoy eating, it has to still be delicious. Last year I made a quinoa dish that everyone liked, but I can't remember what I put in it besides cranberries. If only I had a blog back then I'd be able to recreate it.

(Image Source)
So I'm still not sure what I am going to make this year/tomorrow. I know it's going to involve quinoa and some kind of squash and am hoping the rest will just magically transport itself from Pinterest to my kitchen. Here's some of the recipes I'm using for inspiration, as well as some others that look like they would be really yummy/seasonally appropriate.

My Vegan Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili: This pumpkin chili would make a really good turkey alternative main dish for any vegans at your meal, and since you can make it in the slow cooker it doesn't take up valuable stove real-estate. 


Nutritionella's Pumpkin-Herb Quinoa: The pumpkin makes this instantly Thanksgiving appropriate and the creamy texture would set it apart from your usual quinoa. As a bonus, it also looks pretty easy.

Eating Made Easy Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Dried Cherries and PistachiosI LOVE Brussels sprouts, especially when covered in bacon fat and pieces of bacon. This version sounds just as yummy and much healthier.

(Image Source)
ASweetLife Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Casserole: I love butternut squash and this sounds really warm and comforting. This would make a good mashed potatoes alternative or, more realistically, would be great next to the huge pile of mashed potatoes on your plate.

FitSugar Butternut Squash Quinotto: Not gonna lie, I was mostly drawn to this quinoa risotto recipe because of the name. But a risotto preparation for quinoa also sounds like a great idea, and you can't go wrong with butternut squash.

(Image Source)
Two Peas and Their Pod Sweet Potato Pomegranate Salad: I'm kind of sweet potato obsessed, and adding pomegranate seeds pepitas, and feta cheese sounds like it would really take this recipe over the top.

My Pumpkin Apple Quinoa Muffins: My aunt has dibs on the dinner baked goods and always makes sweet potato muffins so I won't be bringing these, but I think they would be really great for Thanksgiving dinner. They're sweet, but not too sweet, and also really hearty without being too heavy.


Q: What are your favorite Thanksgiving recipes, healthy or otherwise :)


No comments:

Post a Comment