Monday, November 25, 2013

Meal Prep Monday - Baked Blueberry Oatmeal and Tofu

Happy Monday! I had a pretty relaxing but productive weekend with a fun volleyball scrimmage tournament and lots of eating, including this awe-inspiring spread from Lighthouse Tofu.


Don't worry though, I also got some good workouts in. Besides the volleyball tournament, I had a really productive and almost FUN treadmill run using this interval workout from Self Magazine. Warning: those hill intervals are no joke.

Since Thanksgiving is this week, I meal prepped a little less (and lighter) than usual. Because I go hard for Thanksgiving. Three times. Yea it's pretty epic. So here's what I came up with for this week.

Breakfast

I am on a serious breakfast bake kick. This week's baked oatmeal features blueberries and coconut, and is just as delicious as last week's Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bake or the Baked Banana Almond Oatmeal I made a few weeks before that.


Baked Blueberry Coconut Banana Oatmeal

Recipe

Calories: 266 | Fat: 12 g | Cholest: 0 mg | Sodium: 94 mg | Carbs: 31 g | Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 9 g

1 1/2 cups oats
3 tbsp chia seeds
6 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut, divided in 2
1/3 cup sliced almonds, divided in 2
1/4 cup walnut pieces, divided in 2
1 cup blueberries
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup egg whites
2 tbsp maple syrup

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix all ingredients (including only half of the divided ingredients) in a large rectangular microwave and oven safe baking dish.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway.
Mix the rest of the shredded coconut, sliced almonds and walnuts together, then sprinkle over the oatmeal mixture.
Bake for 15 minutes or until mixture is firm. Broil for the last minute if desired, so the toppings get a nice golden brown crisp. Using the timer is highly recommended to avoid burning :)
Makes 6 servings.


This may be my new favorite oatmeal. Despite not having a lot of added sugar, the blueberries give it a nice sweetness and the texture from all the toasty nuts is great. And, despite the additional egg whites for extra protein, it wasn't too "eggy" for the bf.

Protein

For this week's lightened up and lazy easy meal prep, I didn't make any meat. I also didn't make any vegetarian protein recipes. All I did was buy some tofu and chop it up so it would be easier to grab and throw in salads or stir frys. But hey, I'm going to be slaving over a hot stove and cooking a 30 lb turkey Thursday. Ok no I'm not. But I am going to make some kind of a healthy side to bring to Thanksgiving...


Sides

To go with the tofu, I roasted a bunch of broccoli and cauliflower with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and baked some sweet potatoes.


Workouts

In my last week of Pile on the Miles and I have just over 6 miles to go to reach my goal of 30 miles. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of miles but I'm pretty proud of myself since I've never run this much in a month before. I'm also running a 5K on Sunday to finish my monthly goal of one race 1 day late. Typical. 

Monday: Rec league volleyball playoffs, Blogilates Hard Core Workout
Tuesday: 5K Run
Wednesday:  Nutritionella Arm Sandwich, Pull-ups
Thursday: 5K Pre-Turkey Run!
Saturday: Rest

I'm also super excited to start the Elf for Health Holiday Challenge, a four week challenge with a buddy-support system to stay motivated and healthy during the crazy holiday season. I have a great elf buddy and am really excited to work through the challenges together. Oh and if you're interested, you can still sign up for the second two weeks of the challenge at the link above. Here's a brief look at the daily tasks.


Q: How are you staying healthy through the holidays?

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Elf 4 Health and I'm so glad I did! This baked oatmeal looks amazing. I make my own version but have never thought to add coconut. That's next on my list of add-ons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay glad to meet a fellow elf in the blogosphere :) Let me know how you like it if you end up trying out the coconut!

      Delete