Monday, November 11, 2013

Meal Prep Monday - Egg Muffin Cups, Pumpkin Burgers and Tempeh

Happy Monday! I had a pretty fun Saturday, including some new fitness adventures (more on that soon) and then on Sunday I had a spectacularly crappy outdoor run. On the bright side, I looked pretty cool in my new cold weather workout clothes :) Win some lose some. 


Anyways, since I made the bf happy by including some red meat (liberally mixed with lean ground turkey but still) last week I was planning to go vegetarian for this week's meal prep. But then I saw these egg muffin cups and really wanted to make them for breakfast. And sliced turkey is a kind of key ingredient. So this week's menu features vegetarian lunches and dinners and meaty breakfasts, which is the opposite of usual. I'm such a rebel.

Breakfast

I decided to switch up my normal sweet breakfasts with these egg muffin cups from My Dream Shape. I pretty much stuck to her recipe, except for substituting green pepper and cheddar cheese for the spinach and mozzarella.


They came out pretty well, except my turkey slices were a little too small so the egg ran out a little into the muffin cups. They still taste good, but aren't quite as pretty looking as the original and the egg was a little bit of a pain to scrub out of the muffin tins. So if you try this, I would definitely recommend going for a slice large enough to drape over the edge of your tins.

Protein

For my first vegetarian protein, I made my marinated baked tempeh. The bf was out of town last time I made this, so fingers crossed he likes it.


I also tried out a new veggie burger recipe featuring, surprise surprise, pumpkin. This black bean and pumpkin recipe is from fANNEtastic food. I pretty much followed her recipe, subbing coconut flour, adding 2 eggs and tripling the quantities to make 6 burgers instead of 2.


I tasted the batter and a lot of the crumbly pieces that I "accidentally" kept breaking off and I love the flavor! However, my patties kept breaking apart on me. 


I've had a lot of trouble keeping veggie burgers from crumbling before (which is why I added the eggs to this one) so it's probably my fault rather then the fault of the recipe. Any tips for how to solve this?

Sides

I saw this recipe for roasted broccoli with garlic from Kalyn's Kitchen on Pinterest and had a really hard time waiting to get to the grocery store to make it. We may or may not have eaten half the pan to "test" it when it came out of the oven. I also made some more quinoa and some extra black beans.


Workouts

Still trying to Pile on the Miles so I'll be running three times this week. 

Monday: Blogilates Abs on Fire/VS Abs, Rec league volleyball 
Tuesday: 5K Run 
Wednesday:  Nike Training Club Arms and Shoulders, Pull-ups
Thursday: 5K Run, Coed rec league volleyball 
Friday: Rec league volleyball 
Saturday: Women's volleyball tournament!
Sunday: 5K Run

No comments:

Post a Comment